Tuesday 24 July 2012

Yo Beyonce - stop with the nonce (accent excluded)

Yo,

So I was intending to come and write a post about feminism, positing Beyonce Knowles with her recent track, 'Who Runs the World' against Joan Smiths 'Misogonies.'

But then I realised that feminism has advanced in enough a form for me to speak about something else.

Something omissing / missing from our Olympic-hype uprun.  The riots.  From Last Year.

Just walking down my road towards the nearest internet cafe where I was to write my piece, I glimpsed upon a phone eavesdrop from a lady wearing a JAMAICA top chatting shit to someone about 'Only English people get this'.  Her son was about 5 and wearing a Kanye West t-shirt.  (I approve of the Culture bringing us together against government shit that divedes us but STILL.)

This time last year, I was living in Dalson.  I remember well the night that the riots hit our area.  I remember staying inside, and being totally confused by the helicopters buzzing overhead.  I remember the cool feeling the next day that our local Turkish shopkeepers had protected their businesses from the rioters (Young Kids) and remember also, my mate, from Scotland, who had just finished a recital on his fiddle, who then decided to cycle back to his fiddlesticks in Bethnal Green, against my advice, so that he then got chased and he injured himself whilst running from a crowd who were after his Bike.

I remember all this above hearing the smug Boris Yeltsin/Johnson tannoy announcement recently, when I was on a train headed home.  His posh Eton voice, bringing all of its aristocratic verve to us commuters, reassured us that millions of people were coming....SO WE HAD BETTER BE NICE.

WELL.  One thing is.  One Year Is.  Not good enough to force yet more pressure on us Londoners.

Just what has been done about the Riots of this time last year?  Is it the Pink Elephant in the room?  Yes it is.

Because we all knew about the funding that was going into the Opening Ceremony back last year.  When Danny Boyle is creating a piece worth many millions, in the very borough that many of the worries came out of, and the WORTH of his idea is further speculated in the Media.  Does this help anyone? 

How important it is to represent London along the good capital country vibes that it represents, is true.  It is cool- it is an all-embracing country.  And Danny Boyle can hopefully translate some decent values to the World about what the London Olympics is about.  But as far as TEAMSPIRIT goes - HOW MUCH has changed, since this time last year?  How much has been addressed and combatted for the people who were so desperate that they went on the rob.  That it all seemed a game, because reality seemed so utterly shit.

Doing SPORT is fine.  It is a great outlet for people who need it.  It helps communities and indivuals symbiotically.  But analytically, how much has the London Olympic Games helped us to progress from Last Summer?

I don't know.  I would hope that we can learn from this Olympic Games.
I hope that it offers more HOPE for the people involed in the Riots.  From the Givers to the Haters.

But I find it quite distasteful, that nobody seems to have acknowledged the suffering that goes along with living in London at the same time.

We can only wait and see.  





















No comments:

Post a Comment